In class, we talked about traditions that needed to be changed or ended. I am going to talk about something that has changed a lot in the past decade or two. The acceptance of gays. I was not around when the general population was against this lifestyle, but I realize that people are now a lot more open to the idea than they used to be.
I asked 5 people yes or no questions about their opinions of gay people. (It is for a paper that I am writing in Sociology using the Bogardus Social Distance scale, a scale that measures how close you will let someone from a certain group get to you socially.) Here are the questions that I asked:
Would you be okay with having a homosexual as a close kin by marriage?
Would you be okay with having a homosexual in your club as a personal chum?
Would you be okay with having a homosexual on your street as a neighbor?
Would you be okay with having a homosexual working alongside you in your job?
Would you be okay with having a homosexual as a citizen in your country?
Would you be okay with having a homosexual as a visitor to your country?
Every single person answered 'Yes'. But there was one last question:
Would you exclude a homosexual from your country?
All five people answered 'No'.
Maybe this mini survey does not hold a lot of weight because it was only five people aged 18-22 that grew up in the same city. But I think it is really cool that people are starting to be more accepting of other's choices.
That is great that the people you interviewed seemed so accepting. I believe age and gender are definite factors though, men and older people tend to be less accepting of the LGBT community. I wish more people were as oen minded, people are people!
ReplyDeleteYeah I have a few friends that are homosexual, and I accept them for who they are. They are still my good friends. I dont treat them any differently!
ReplyDelete